Welcome to The Tasteful Vegan

It is my hope to share wonderful, nutritious vegan recipes that anyone would love to eat! I am passionate about feeding my family healthy, tasty food and am committed to sharing my "best" with others. Non-vegan? You are welcome here too! Any of these recipes will enhance a more traditional diet. I believe some of the most intimate family moments can be had around the dinner table or in the kitchen so get in there and eat, cook, share, laugh and learn!







Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Popcorn with Nutritional Yeast

Popcorn, a whole-grain snack, full of dietary fibre, protein, iron, calcium and B vitamins, is a great go-to snack just about any time. And popcorn tastes great. It satisfies that crunchy/salty snack we sometimes crave and it is relatively low in calories.

I am not talking about microwave popcorn either. Who wants that stale, chemical laden treat in their bodies when they can have real, home popped popcorn in the same amount of time? Not me!

One of our favorite family items is our Cuisinart EasyPop Popcorn Maker. We use this popcorn maker almost daily! It is that good. Ours, purchased from Williams-Sonoma, was about $50.00, and so worth the money considering how much we love this tasty treat. Used with an organic popping corn, you just can't make a healthier snack.

To keep this treat healthy, I lightly spray the corn  with cooking spray prior to popping. The top vent allows steam to escape so you end up with a truly crisp kernal. Next, I sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast, found in the bulk aisle of any health food store, over the popped corn and give it a few sprays of Olive Oil cooking spray. You could also melt a tiny bit of Earth Balance Buttery Spread if you have the calories to burn. Maybe a small dash of salt to complete. The nutritional yeast is what makes this popcorn over-the-top addictive! It imparts a slightly cheesy taste that is irresistable while still adding nutritional benefit. What more could a person ask for in a snack?

This is a staple after school snack for the kids. I make a big batch and divy it up into individual portions. As I pick up carpool, I hand each kid a bag as they get in the car. I also love to bring this into the movies, smuggled into my big purse with bottled water. I have zero guilt or worry while enjoying the healthy version of artery clogging movie theatre popcorn. For a special treat you could add a few vegan chocolate chips, raisins or nuts. There are so many endless possibilites. The key is taking the five minutes to make yourself or those you love a healthy snack and being PREPARED before hunger strikes! I had to put that in bold. Not just for you to read, but for me too. Being prepared with healthy food make it so much easier to resist what is bad. And, it only takes minutes. Bon Apetit!

3 comments:

  1. HI Ronda! We LOVE nutrional yeast! Yay! It is a complete protein! Did you know "kettle chips" used to make a nutrional yeast popcorn back in the 90's? When they discontinued, I was sooooo upset! I actually wrote to "kettle chips" to complain, and they sent me a few bags they still had in the warehouse and a letter of apology. Funny huh? Oh ya, we were doing the same thing after school the other day, popping.... we fed some to Grace too! I also made her a tofu dog, and she seemed to like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and it is me, Dana posting under Aleahs name.... I was just looking at her blog, which made me think to look at YOUR BLOG! BTY, do you know how to connect blogs with Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I would have to say this is the one product, nutritional yeast, that I love the most out of all the new things I have tried. I love finding something that is good for you but also tastes amazing! No, I don't know how to connect to fb! I thought I was set up to receive comments automatically so I could reply, but I didn't get these last two. I need to brush up on my blogging technique!

    ReplyDelete