Welcome to The Tasteful Vegan

It is my hope to share wonderful, nutritious vegan recipes that anyone would love to eat! I am passionate about feeding my family healthy, tasty food and am committed to sharing my "best" with others. Non-vegan? You are welcome here too! Any of these recipes will enhance a more traditional diet. I believe some of the most intimate family moments can be had around the dinner table or in the kitchen so get in there and eat, cook, share, laugh and learn!







Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Stess and Relaxation

I used to be chronically stressed. It is still something I have to work hard to manage. The day to day responsibility of taking care of three kids plus a husband along with all the other things that pop up can be overwhelming to say the least.

In an effort to learn to control stress, I stumbled upon a wonderful book that taught me so very much! The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook by Martha Davis, Ph.D., Elizabeth Robbins Eshelman, MSW, and Matthew McKay, Ph.D. is filled with technique after technique to teach you how to RELAX and control the day to day stress of life.

The most life changing technique I learned is how to breathe correctly.  Most of us do very shallow breathing, but diaphramatic breathing is a whole different ball of wax. After the very first breathing practice I felt better and more relaxed than I had in ages. I practice this type of breathing twice a day. After I exercise and at night before I go to bed.

In addition to working on my breath, I listen to the same meditation music, Buddha Moon, by Chenmaya Dunster, so that once my body even hears that first beat of music, it knows that it is time to relax. At night, I usually get to about the two minute mark before I am deeply, fast asleep. I finally understand what it means to meditate! It is the most amazing, wonderful, quiet time that allows you to reconnect with yourself and let the stress go out of your body. If I happen to wake up in the middle of the night, I pop that music back on, very, very low, and focus on my breathing. Anytime my mind wanders, I go back to counting my breath and then I am fast asleep.

The benefits of working on your breath after exercise is it is like taking a long nap. When you open your eyes, you are refreshed, calm and ready to head back into the chaos of the day. The music has four, fifteen minute songs so it is easy to know when it is time to come back to reality. If I have time, I try to lay on the yoga mat for a full thirty minutes, but fifteen is the minimum. I consider this meditatve time to be just as important as the exercise!

The neat thing about this book  is that each chapter or technique builds upon the last. You go from breathing, to progressive relaxation, to meditation, visualization, applied relaxation, self-hypnosis and the list goes on and on. There is something for everyone and every level. This book is certainly one of my favorite things!

What do you all do to relax?

No comments:

Post a Comment